On September 27, 2009, Krystal will be having its 6th Annual World Hamburger Eating Challenge in downtown Chattanooga , Tenn. There are a 2 changes this year, 1st and this appears geared towards the professional eaters:
“Krystal has confirmed that it will no longer allow the dunking of hamburgers in any liquid prior to consumption.“
They will of course still be allowed to drink liquid during the event. Just a fast fact, during the original Krystal contest in 1932 the competitors were allowed to wash down their burgers with a hot cup of coffee. 2nd, each finalist will be served 5 Krystal Big Angus burgers:
“Each Big Angus Burger consumed will add five hamburgers to an eater’s total count.“
Those are definitely some interesting changes.
If you are interested in competing, here are the ground rules:
- Registration is open beginning at noon EST on August 4.
- You must be 18 years or over to compete in any Krystal Square Off VI event.
- Individuals interested in competing in any of the Qualifiers can register for the event of their choice at
- Amateur eaters can also register in person at a Qualifier for the chance to be one of the five people selected “on-the-spot” to compete in the eight-minute event.
- Win a Qualifier and you earn a seat at the finals next to the world’s number one ranked eater Joey Chestnut, who receives an automatic seat to this year’s championship as the reigning Krystal Square Off champion.
- If you don’t end up winning one of the Qualifiers, you still have a shot to win one of the coveted wild card spots based on the number of burgers you consumed.
Where are the Qualifiers?
August 22 – Southern Brewers Festival in Chattanooga, Tenn.
August 29 – Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio, Tex.
September 7 – Jacksonville Landing in Jacksonville, Fla.
September 12 – University of Alabama-Birmingham Football Game in Birmingham, Ala.
September 13 – Lenox Square in Atlanta, Ga.
September 19 – Tennessee State Fair in Nashville, Tenn.
September 20 – Tennessee Valley Fair in Knoxville, Tenn.
September 27 – Ross’s Landing in Chattanooga, Tenn.s
What can you win?
1st – $20,000
2nd – $10,500
3rd – $5,000
4th – $3,000
5th – $2,500
6th – $2,000
7th – $1,850
8th – $1,500
9th – $1,400
10th – $1,250
11th – $1,000
12th – $500
2004 – Takeru Kobayashi – 69 Krystals
2005 – Takeru Kobayashi – 67 Krystals
2006 – Takeru Kobayashi – 97 Krystals
2007 – Joey Chestnut – 103 Krystals
2008 – Joey Chestnut – 93 Krystals
I’m considering attending this event.
One last bit, check out the video: