The saying goes, “As American as Apple Pie”. While we may not have a lot of apple pie options in Miami, we do have flan! I searched far and wide, (as far as Hialeah, Westchester and Kendall) to find the Top 5 flans!
5. Casa Larios (on Sunset) – I think someone just voted this the top flan in Miami. Larios’ flan was not my favorite, but it’s still great!
4. Havana Harry’s (Kendall) – This flan was a surprise in many ways. One, it was $6! I think in Miami that might be more frowned upon than no foam in your cafecito. The second surprise that came with eating Havana Harry’s flan is how firm it is, it was almost like cutting through a block of cheese. Call me old fashioned but I want my flan silky smooth. A plus on this flan was the sauce, it’s nice and thick and has great flavor as does the flan.
3. Cuban Guys (Hialeah) – Cuban Guys has recently become all the rage for good fast Cuban food with a twist. They’ve also got a decent flan on their hands. The flavors were good and the syrup was a great consistency. Very decent middle-of-the-road flan that you can probably rely on to kill any craving for this sweet treat.
2. Rio Cristal (Westchester) – *pause for outrage* Yes, I know – how could I put Rio at number 2? Wait until you see number 1 and you’ll understand. This flan really has everything going for it. It tastes like the same person has been making it for 100 years. The consistency is silky smooth, the syrup is cooked to perfection and that makes this flan the one you will always bring out-of-towners to.
1. Fireman Derek’s World Famous Pies (Miami) – I know what you’re saying, a food truck?! Yes, a food truck has the number 1 flan in Miami! One bite of Derek’s sweet smooth flans (yes, he makes more than one kind) and you will know what flan is always supposed to taste like. Derek is a one man show and you can taste the love that goes into his creations. Follow him online or find him in the street and stop depriving yourself of this delicious dessert!
Have Your Own Flan Crawl:
5859 SW 73rd St
Miami, FL 33143
9525 SW 88th St
Miami, FL 33176
3174 W 76 St
Hialeah, FL 33018
9872 SW 40th St
Miami, FL 33165
Fireman Derek’s World Famous Pies
2600 N. Miami Ave
Miami, FL 33127