2012 Review, the Year in Burger:
- 8 oz. Burger opens up 2nd location in North Miami and then quickly removes the “Burger” from its name.
- BurgerFi is opening up shops all over South Florida: Aventura, Coral Springs, Hallandale Beach & Sunrise
- Michael Symon wins his 3rd consecutive SoBe Burger Bash.
- Butcher & the Burger is still not open.
- The Grind Event goes up in smoke.
- Shake Shake opens up its 2nd South Florida location in Coral Gables and announces an upcoming 3rd location in Boca Raton.
- 8 oz. Burger SoBe becomes American Burger after some partner dispute. It ends up closing its doors a few weeks later.
- Umami Burger, 2 years after it initially told the New Times it would be heading to the Design District ends up in South Beach at the old 8 oz. Burger location.
- El Corral Hamburguesas from Colombia plans expansion in Florida with its 1st location in Doral and 2nd in Coconut Grove in early 2013.
- Five Napkin Burger changes its name to Five Napkin Grill. Why? Who knows.
- Milk Burger (another in the vein of South Florida Shake Shack clones BurgerFi and Chuck Burger Joint) doesn’t go public with its spot in Miami but is “caught” by New Times with a not so secretive Milk Burger Miami Twitter account.
- Guy Fieri’s Burger Joint was never coming to Miami
- Tiny independent Burger Joints keep popping up: A& G Burger, Burger Freak, HiWay Burger, Knucklehead Burgers & Top Burger.
- Smaller Burger Joints expand: One Burger in Sunrise, Cuban Guys (Early 2013 in Kendall) & Pincho Factory (Early 2013 in Coral Gables)
- Rok:Brgr Burger Bar + Gastropub finally opens near me in South Miami
- More Food Trucks specializing in Burgers showed up: Cheeseburger Baby, Da Burger Joint and the Loaded Burger.
- Food Trucks known for their Burgers make their Brick & Mortar debuts: Latin House Burger & Taco Bar and Rock That Burger (formerly the Yellow Submarine)
See you in 2013!