Last year’s 2012 recap was all about the Food Truck scene but this year’s version features 10 things that I remembered 2013 for:
- This year was filled with Twitter battles galore, worth mentioning were Chef Richard Hales (Sakaya Kitchen, Blackbrick) vs. Eddie Huang (BaoHaus, Fresh Off The Boat) and The Chowfather vs too many folks to name but by far the best one, which had me at the edge of my seat was Jamie DeRosa (Tongue & Cheek) vs. Daniel Serfer (Blue Collar). It was brutal and very real. Just plain nasty. I fell out of my chair a couple of times.
- What happened to Eater Miami? I don’t need to read all the same info from New Times (Clean Plate Charlie & Short Order) that I just read or do I?
- Speaking of regurgitator Miami, that “Year in 2013” was made tolerable by Lesley Abravanel’s answers. She is too hilarious.
- The Busta Rhymes debacle at Cheeseburger Baby where he was angry because they don’t put condiments on your Burger was ridiculous. He then felt the need to call one employee a “Fag” and a ever friendly “Fuck you bitch!” to the owner Steph Vitori. It sounds like he didn’t learn much on the Higher Learning film set. Read about it here.
- It was great to finally see the families of El Mago de las Fritas & El Rey de las Fritas under one roof together after so many years at the Burger Land Viewing Party.
- As a blogger it bothers me that folks are just “blogging” to eat free meals and get some perks here and there. It bothers me even more that they write about these meals and never mention it was an invite from a PR company or the restaurant itself. Just be on the lookout for these Blogger cattle calls where everyone is posting pictures from the restaurants at the same time.
- I think we can all agree that about 99% of the time when a restaurant goes “on hiatus” or is “remodeling”, the party is over so why not just admit it.
- My vote for biggest character I’ve met this year is Pat from a Little Bit of Philly in Virginia Gardens (next to Miami Springs), that dude makes me laugh with his stories.
- Lawsuits were another hot topic this year with Chef Bee vs. 50 Eggs over his departure from Khong River House taking top honors (read about it). On a smaller scale, Flip Burger Bar (North Miami) vs. Flip Burger Boutique (Atlanta) ended with Flip Burger Bar changing their name to Vega’s Burger Bar. And Latin Burger & Taco Food Truck’s lawsuit against Latin House Burger & Taco Bar over their name was dismissed by the courts.
- I’m sick of reading all these bullshit “Best Burger in Miami” lists. Read either mine or The Chowfather’s, all the others don’t matter. You know why? I’m even willing to bet they didn’t even try all the Burgers on their lists, I’m 100% positive of it as a matter of fact. South Florida Burger Overload’s Top 5 Burger List is another good one to check out.
Remember eat Meat & enjoy 2014.