I’m not sure that the title “5 Things I’m Currently Obsessed With” is really accurate. It’s more like 5 things you need to keep far away from me or I will polish off.
5) Tasca de España’s Tortilla Española – In general, I absolutely love Spanish-style Omelettes. My father was taught by his late Mom (yes I know, my grandmother) who was a Spaniard how to make a mean Tortilla Española. There’s a lot of love that goes into making one and cooking those potatoes and onions to the right consistency is an art. I’ve stopped ordering the Tortilla at Tasca de España because I find that I can’t share it. There seems to be some internal register figuring out how many more bites I can get in before someone else “steals” some from me.
4) Buena Vista Chocolate & Wine’s Chocolate Truffles – By no means do I consider myself an expert in the field of Chocolates. I just can’t imagine a Chocolate anything being better than these Chocolate Truffles made of Chocolate Ganache & Cocoa Powder.
3) Miami Smokers’ Duroc Bacon – Ladies & Gentleman, imagine a world where all Bacon was made from pigs raised humanely and fed wholesome diets. Once you step into the land of Miami Smokers Urban Smokehouse, your porky dreams will have then come true. There were folks ordering BLTs while I was there last week. Guess what I was having? Bacon. That’s right, no filler for me. Get with the program people.
2) The Local’s Soup – Chef Phil Bryant recently took over the kitchen at the Local Craft Food & Drink. I stopped in for the new lunch menu and of course expected to be blown away by The Burger (and I was) BUT……all in capitals for dramatic effect…the Soup was unbelievable. What was in it? Try Pulled Hen, Buttermilk Dumplings, Zellwood Corn, Fresh Greens & Parmesan Gravy. I know. I know. You need this.
1) McCormick’s Mexican Lime Mayonaise – The folks at McCormick’s sponsored one of my events a few months ago and I was given a couple of mini jars of the Mayonesa with Lime to sample. My entire life I’ve been a Helman’s guy til a few years ago that Chef Jeremiah convinced me to switch to Duke’s. I am now a McCormick Mayonesa obsessive convert. It’s perfect for sandwiches and sauces. The reason I think I really fell for it was it made my daily breakfast sandwich perfect so I’m happy the rest of the day.
Get Your Fix:
Tasca de España
8770 SW 24 ST Miami, Florida 33165
Buena Vista Chocolate & Wine
4512 NE 2nd Avenue, Miami, Florida 33137
Miami Smokers Urban Smokehouse
306 NW 27th Ave Miami, FL 33125
The Local Craft Food & Drink
150 Giralda Ave Coral Gables, Florida 33134
Available in the Ethnic or Mexican Food section of your Supermarket