If we’re talking Best South Florida comfort food dishes of all time then Sakaya Kitchen‘s Kalbi Chunk’D Tots will easily make the Top 5. It’s got well marinated Meat, Cheese sauce and fried Potatoes…….SOLD! It is so good that the first time I ate it, I was in line to ordering another one and I wasn’t even half way done with the original.
KALBI SHORT RIB MARINADE:
Mix all ingredients with short rib meat, cover and marinate overnight.
- 1 pound short ribs, thick cut in 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 apple, sliced
Combine ingredients in food processor until smooth.
- 1 cup fresh white melting cheese
- 1 cup Korean red pepper paste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 scallion
- water, if necessary to blend
KALBI CHUNK’D TOTS:
- 1 pound potato nuggets
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 cups cheese sauce (see above)
- 1 pound short ribs (see above)
- scallions, chopped
- hot sauce
Makes approximately 4 servings
- Set grill to high heat. Grill short ribs on high heat until well done. Set aside.
- Deep fry potato nuggets at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown.
- Remove potato nuggets from oil to a mixing bowl. Toss with a pinch of sea salt and cheese sauce until coated.
- Slice short rib meat into bite size pieces.
- Place tater tot mixture in serving bowl, top with short rib meat and garnish with chopped scallions and hot sauce.
Thanks to Chef Richard Hales for allowing us to reprint this recipe.