In 2011 just as South Florida’s Food Truck engines were warming up Mangia Mia showed up on the scene. The great folks (the late Patrick Murdock & his wife Kim) behind the original incarnation of the Mangia Mia Food Truck featured this irresistible sandwich called The Smasher, a smashed Meatball Sandwich on toasted Garlic Bread. Here’s your chance to recreate this beauty!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 ounces tomato paste (no-salt-added)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 14.5 ounces crushed tomatoes (no-salt-added)
- 1 cup water
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat a medium-sized saucepan over med-high heat.
- Pour the oil into the pan and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Cook the onion and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes until onion is soft, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in tomato paste, parsley, sugar, Italian seasoning, basil, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.
- Reduce heat to med-low and cook for 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in remaining sauce ingredients.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 2.5 ounces Italian breadcrumbs
- 7 cloves garlic, ground
- 2/3 cup fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, ground
- 1 egg
- 1 ounce Ketchup
- 1.5 pounds fresh ground beef (88/12)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for the ground beef.
- Mix well, then add ground beef and mix again thoroughly.
- Roll out mixture into 20 equal meatballs.
- Cook in oven for 30 minutes.
Makes approximately 4 servings
- 1 large loaf garlic bread
- Marinara Sauce (above)
- 5 cups Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 20 Meatballs (above)
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
THE SMASHER DIRECTIONS:
- Divide garlic bread into sandwich portions.
- Toast one side of each half on the grill.
- Spread a layer of marinara sauce on the toasted side of the bread, and then add ¼ of a cup of Mozzarella cheese on top.
- Take two meatballs and smash them with a large spatula.
- Place them on top of the Mozzarella cheese.
- Add a little more marinara sauce on top of the meatball then add another ¼ cup of Mozzarella cheese.
- Place the sandwich back on the grill and toast the un-toasted sides of the bread.
- Remove from grill, sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top and serve.