Croquetapalooza is around the corner so I figured I’d share the recipe to Barley’s Serrano Ham and Manchego Cheese Croquetas, winners of the 2014 Croquetapalooza Competition.
Serrano Ham & Manchego Cheese Croquetas Recipe
Makes 24 Croquetas
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- ½ cup finely Minced Onions
- ¼ cup Flour
- 1-½ cups Hot Milk
- 12 ounces finely chopped Serrano Ham
- 1/3 cup grated Manchego Cheese
- ½ cup Flour
- 2 Eggs, beaten with 1 tablespoon Water
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- 1 can of Guava
- Start with a Béchamel Sauce. Melt Butter in a large Sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the Flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, and pour in the Hot Milk. Return the saucepan to medium heat, and whisk until the sauce thickens.
- In another pan, add chopped Serrano Ham and get it hot. Then add it to the Béchamel Sauce.
- Mix well and refrigerate for two hours.
- Once it’s cooled, grate Manchego Cheese into the mixture and blend thoroughly by hand.
- Put Flour, beaten Egg and Panko Bread Crumbs in 3 separate bowls.
- Using an Ice Cream scoop make Croqueta balls.
- Roll them in the Flour, dip into the Egg wash and then cover them in Bread Crumbs.
- Put them back in the fridge for another 30 minutes, or until ready to cook.
- Heat 2-½ inches of Vegetable Oil in a large, heavy pot until it registers 360°F on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Fry the Croquetas, a few at a time, until golden brown, 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer the Croquetas to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Fry the remaining Croquetas in batches, avoid over-crowding, as this will lower the heat of the oil, which needs to be maintained at 360°F.
- Pour Guava Sauce on plate, put croquetas on top.
- Then drizzle on more Guava sauce.
- Top it off with grated Manchego Cheese.
-Special Thanks to Chef Jorgie Ramos for allowing me to reprint this recipe
Make Them Yourself or Buy Them At:
Barley: An American Brasserie
9059 S.W. 73 Ct. Miami Fl, 33156