Advertisements
44665231.8dd5717.ddc47fa189604925a981af09a34f155e

Kingdom – Miami, Florida – CLOSED

Kingdom was the first great burger to emerge from the Miami food scene during the burger renaissance that was just starting to sweep the U.S. in 2008.

Kingdom

Due to an overwhelming amount of emails proclaiming the greatness of Kingdom, I felt I should go check the place out. The parking is a bit of a nightmare and if you do go down into that neighborhood it would be a good idea to NOT get lost. The place is not very big but it’s got a charm about it with some seats inside and tables set up on the outside (in an enclosure).

Kingdom

Let’s see what to get…I check out their menu and look for the burgers first. I come across a Fries/Onion Rings combo as an appetizer.

Onion Rings & Fries

Onion Rings & Fries

The Fries are crinkle cut and not too shabby. The Onion Rings were better and both were topped with seasoning which reminded me of the Bennigan’s french fry topping. My wife Marcela and I decided that we should also get some wings. You can get them tossed in either BBQ, Honey Mustard or Buffalo Sauce (the server may have said another flavor but I can’t recall).

Buffalo Wings in Frank's Red Hot Sauce

Buffalo Wings in Frank’s Red Hot Sauce

We get the Buffalo version (tastes like Frank’s Red Hot to me) and love ’em. Those things were hot, and by hot I mean temperature hot. In the pic above you should be able to see some smoke rising from them.

Chicken Burger

Chicken Burger

We order the Chicken Burger. The Chicken Burger is ground Chicken packed into Burger form (no dead chickens were harmed though). Marcela loved it and I……you got it, loved it! We added Provolone Cheese and crispy Bacon (appears to be deep fried) to it. How could you go wrong with Bacon? There are 3 burgers on the Kingdom menu: Queen (8 oz.), King (12 oz.) and Doomsday (24 oz.).

Kingdom King Burger

Kingdom King Burger

If you can eat the Doomsday Burger in under 15 minutes you don’t have to pay for it. As tempting of a proposition as that sounds if I was served a Doomsday Burger at the temperature they served the King Burger at, I would have no palate left. That Burger was smoking hot. I ordered my King Burger with Cheddar cheese and a heaping load of that ultra crispy Bacon. It was remarkably delicious. I suggest you get over here and try one of their burgers cause there seems to be a new King in town.

Eating the Doomsday

Why back to Kingdom so soon? Well, many a person suggested I try to eat the Doomsday (Kingdom’s 24 oz. aka 1.5 lb. burger served with fries and onion rings). I thought long and hard about who would be the perfect person to go eat the Doomsday with. With any main event you always bring out the big guns…the person who won’t let you down. Who is this person? None other than my cousin Rick, my original eating partner.

Anyways, Rick agrees and I arrive at Kingdom first. No one is here yet. I mention that I’m going to be ordering 2 Doomsday burgers to someone setting the place up (they had just opened). Now the waitress/bartender Cindy shows up and asks what I’m having. I mention that I am waiting for someone else but that we both are going to be having a Doomsday. She has yet to see one and seems generally excited that we ordered it (more on her later though). Rick arrives and we discuss pop culture nonsense as usual.

Before we know it, Rod (or Hot Rod as Cindy referred to him…she said it, not me) is serving us our 2 Doomsday burgers. Rick’s Doomsday ordered his bunless. The Doomsday really does look so beautiful I don’t want to eat it but I’ll make the sacrifice. There is a Doomsday Challenge where you must eat the 24 oz. burger along with fries and onion rings in less than 15 minutes. We did not enter into the challenge, all we did was eat the Doomsday.

Rod with 2 Doomsday Burgers

Rod with 2 Doomsday Burgers

Just Arrived Doomsday w/Fries & Onion Rings

Just Arrived Doomsday w/Fries & Onion Rings

Doomsday Burger....What a beaut!

Doomsday Burger….What a beaut!

Kingdom's Doomsday Half Way There

Kingdom’s Doomsday Half Way There

Doomsday Now Gone

Doomsday Now Gone

Rick finished before I did (bunless remember). He also claims that he could have easily done another half pounder but I find that to be doubtful. I finally finish mine. Neither of us eat the Fries or Onion Rings. Those things are awesome but I have no intention of over stuffing myself today. We’ll wait till someone wants to go head to head with me for that. Not that I’m laying down a challenge or am I?

Kingdom is unfortunately CLOSED
6708 Biscayne Blvd, Miami, Fl
305-757-0074

Comments (19):

1. GhenghisJuan

at

this is why i read this blog. great post, way to go beast.

Are those potato chips on that hamburger??

2. The Burger Beast

Nope, it’s crispy bacon.

3. Ceasetodream

at

Dude, thank goodness you didn’t try to be Billy Baddass and jump at that Doomsday challenge, you gotta know when to fold ’em…..or they can fold you.

4. Danny Brody

at

I’m not saying you have to do the Doomsday Challenge (24 OZ burger plus fries and rings in 15 minutes and it’s free); but the DD burger itself is a monster-DO IT NEXT TIME, BEAST! I have seen people do the challenge recently-it CAN BE DONE!

5. Danny Brody

at

good call BB-it IS Frank’s-the original and only genuine Buffalo wing hot sauce (I ate the original Buffalo wings in Buffalo, NY-yes, I’m that old.)

6. Dietcolalola

at

Dietcolalola here. I think if you are going to call yourself the “Burger Beast” you’re gonna have to, as Marcela would say “Butch Up”. Of course you should do the Doomsday Challenge for the mere experience of it all. You can’t let your burger buddies down. I’ll be there with my defibrillator and CPR kit to help you back from your doomsday debacle! I have previously been to Kingdom, but only to drink. Although the seasoning on the fries and onion rings is probably as simple as salt and pepper, it’s about the ratio. That seasoning lingers in my palate as does the delicious juiciness of the chicken burger. I would love to try the Queen Burger ( since I am a total fag hag)and I am sure I will. For Kingdom has a very special place in the left ventricle of my heart.

7. Ceasetodream

at

Fuck it dude, I take it back…do it, BUT! You have to call me, I wanna be there…maybe we can do a little documentary about your mental and physical preparation prior to the event.

8. joel

at

Good food, but a bit pricey for what you get, IMO.
    I liked it, but there’s a reason I haven’t been back. Drop the prices by a dollar (beer, burgers, fries) and I’ll come back!

9. gcbron

at

Kingdom seems to be experiencing some consistency issues. When I first went there I found it to be just as the BB posted, an excellent burger and sides. My last visit on Saturday was a disappointment. The burger had no flavor (desperately in need of salt and pepper)and was undercooked. The fries and onion ring basket were also a disappointment as they were soggy and undercooked and the spices which were added last time were omitted.

I hope Kingdom is not becoming a victim of it's new found fame. I'll give them another chance but I know my friends will never go back.

10. The Burger Beast

George,

You're not the first to make mention that Kingdom is faltering.

11. Danny Brody

at

"I hope Kingdom is not becoming a victim of it's new found fame"

I can honestly tell you that I was at Kingdom last night and the girl sitting next to me was literally moaning as she ate her burger. I agree that there may be some consistency issues-but when each burger is handmade to order, sometimes there can be issues. If you have a problem with the burger, or anything, mention it to Justin or Tracey, the owners, and they will take care of you.

12. gcbron

at

I went to Kingdom Saturday with five friends and there was no moaning but a lot of groaning. Six people found their burger tasteless and the buns too hard. Two baskets of fries and rings were soggy and not worth eating and they were out of jalape├▒o poppers.

I had a great dining experience there last time I went but apparently there are consistency problems.

There were six people in our party, how do you go about returning six burgers because they're tasteless, had hard buns and were undercooked. Your suggestion is not realistic. Most of us ate part of the burger but the fries and rings were universally ignored. Once you have a bad experience in a place you're reluctant to return. My friends will not go back. Kingdom did not live up to the hype.

13. Danny Brody

at

Hey gcbron-sorry you had a bad experience-I understand it can be uncomfortable to complain, etc, etc, and I'm not in any way challenging your opinion. I was simply stating what happened to me last night. Nothing personal, brother. I just get concerned when people love a joint to death, have one bad experience, and never go back. Kingdom has had the same 'hype' since it has been open, so really nothing's changed-it's not like the owners have become famous, carefree jet-setters, living off the mountains of money they make off their burgers! Email me and I'll be sure to ask the owners to make it up to you-all they want is for their customers to be happy. And I like having that kind of joint in my neighborhood. 'Sall I'm sayin'

14. gcbron

at

Danny, Thanks for the kind offer but often you only have one opportunity to make a good impression. My friends are still complaining about the terrible food we had at Kingdom. They're not inclined to give it another shot. One comment that was made that resonated with the group was that when a place serves soggy fries and rings they know they're serving soggy fries and rings and just don't care.

15. Danny Brody

at

gcbron-you are totally right-sometimes you only get one shot-what you said reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend the other day-she visited me in Miami 4 years ago and still talks about a particularly shitty meal we had at a SoBe restaurant. We must have had 10 great meals that visit, and many since, but that particular bad experience still pisses her off. One of my best friends, who eats out every night, went to Michael's Genuine when they first opened, and had a service issue. He never went back, and still moans about it if you bring up Michael's. So I feel ya. All it takes is one slip-up. Maybe it's time to move up to Red Light up the street. Have you been? They have a great burger, by the way!

16. cracka

at

I agree with everyone here…I've been a frequent visitor there for abotu 3 yrs now, a former coworker of mine is one of th ecooks and the place has it's ups and it's downs like most all places…This is a small places ran by good people who will alwys take care of u…understand like us humans, a bad day is inevitable but overall it's well worth it…great burgers, juicy cheesesteaks adn every once in a while good ol John Dorvil hooks it up on savage sunday with his homemade waffles and syrup with chicken wings…the same cook also makes lots of homemade dressing and a kick ass cocunt curry sauce, mmm, mmm, mmm..

17. Luis

at

Not sure I would go here again. I have gone twice. Second time I went dude from the kitchen was picking his Fcukin' nose in front of me, it was completely disgusting.

Pretty good burger, but they should be a little bit more Kosher. what a shame.

18. D.L.

at

KINGDOM is one of my favorite spots. True, my living room is bigger than the whole place, but it's got a certain character to it, and the food is really good. Been tempted to tackle the Doomsday, but I haven't been nearly drunk enough to go through with it.

19. randian

at

Kingdom appears to be closed

Talk To Me