Rob, the owner of Jersey Dawg gave up the recipe to Mama’s Metballs rather easily considering he mentioned in that same email that he “might be disowned for releasing the family secrets”. On that topic, all I’ve got to say is someone has got to be the Black Sheep of the family, right? If it’s any consolation, the readers of the Burger Beast blog thank you for sharing the recipe with us.
Mama’s Meatballs Ingredients:
Makes about 10 Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 6-8 cloves of garlic minced
- Approximately 1/4 cup Italian parsley chopped
- 1/4 loaf crusty French/Italian bread, 3 days old
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano
- 1/2 cup milk
- Mix ground beef, eggs, garlic, parsley in a bowl. Parsley should be leaf only, be sure that no stems get mixed in. Mix with hands until all ingredients are incorporated but not too long as it will make the meat tough.
- Ahead of time soak bread in the milk. When fully saturated, take off all crust off. What should be left is the spongy insides. Squeeze out all fluid and add to meat along with cheese. Mix together. There will not be a need to season much since the cheese will add the desired saltiness. When fully cooked test one. You might need to add a pinch of salt just after cooked, to desired taste.
- Get a cast iron pan add 1/2 inch canola oil. Add heat medium high. You will know the oil is ready when a drop of water starts to sizzle.
- Make golf ball size meatballs and fry till brown and crisp and turn over. The meatballs should be finished in a homemade tomato sauce. But can be fully cooked in the oil.
- Take out and drain on paper towel.