44665231.8dd5717.9f85bb29481e4e4aa146470e83cfafcf

Once Upon A Time, There Was A Burger Castle

Charles Edwards Krebs created Burger Castle to compete against Burger King.

Burger Castle “Home of the Giantburger” was founded by Charles Edwards Krebs (2/13/1919 – 1/2/2009) in 1964 at 444 Hialeah Drive. Charles became the first franchisee for the Burger King chain in South Florida (1957). Burger King would not allow Mr. Krebs the opportunity to open a 2nd Burger King due to their tumultuous relationship.

He turned around and created the Burger Castle chain while at the same time still owning Burger King #5 (7975 NW 27th Avenue Miami, FL 33147). Stanley Tashman designed the layout of the kitchen and dining area. The creator of the Giant outside of the Burger Castle is still unknown.

The menu consisted of the Giant Burger (similar to Burger King’s Whopper which was topped with Tomatoes, Lettuce, Pickles, Ketchup and/or Mayo), regular Burger, Fried Chicken, Roast Beef Sandwich, Filet of Fish Sandwich, Fries, Shakes and Soft Drinks. A soup of the day with a sandwich option was added later on.

All of the Burgers were “Flavor-Broiled”.

On September 18th, 1968 W.J. Fowler (neighbor and friend of Charles Krebs) purchased Burger Castle from him.

W.J. Fowler added a commissary for production and the logo with the giant was changed to that of the shield (which you can see in the ads below) after a lawsuit by Burger King.

Miami News Ad - October 8th, 1968

Miami News Ad – October 8th, 1968

Miami News Ad - April 6th, 1971

Miami News Ad – April 6th, 1971

Miami News Ad - April 29th, 1971

Miami News Ad – April 29th, 1971

Confirmed Burger Castle Locations:

All known Burger Castle locations are listed below, unfortunately, they are all long gone.

Burger Castle Headquarters was located at 1035 NE 125th St North Miami, FL 33161.

Central Florida:

Gables Store: 2350 Douglas Rd Coral Gables, FL 33134

Homestead: 280 N.E. 8th Street Homestead, FL 33030

Kendall: 9045 SW 107th Avenue Miami, FL 33176

Carrol City: 18400 NW 27th Avenue Opa-Locka, FL 33056

Kendall Restaurant: 8865 S. Dixie Highway Miami, FL 33156

South Miami Store: 6855 SW 57th Avenue Miami, FL 33143

Partial Burger Castle Sign still at old Perrine Location, picture courtesy of Steve Simon

Perrine Store: 17500 S. Federal Highway Cutler Bay, FL 33157

135th Street Store: 13495 NW 7th Avenue Miami, FL 33168

Pembroke Pines: 6520 Hollywood Blvd Hollywood, FL 33024

Miramar Store: 6060 Miramar Parkway Miramar, FL 33023

40th Avenue Store: 1268 SW 40th Avenue Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33315

Davie: Davie Blvd (SW 12th St) and State Rd. 7 33317

Pompano Store: 2292 N. Federal Hwy Pompano Beach, FL 33062

Wisconsin:

175 Layton Avenue Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53207

5801 S. 27th Street Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53221

11011 National Avenue Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53227

Burger Castle Postcard

Burger Castle Postcard by Fleer

Other unconfirmed states that had Burger Castle were California, Louisiana, and Maryland.

Comments (15):

1. Gregg Fitzpatrick

August 21, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Good article, thank you. We had a Burger Castle on S, 109th and W. National Avenue in West Allis, Wisconsin. I could not remember the name of the chain, but when I saw the picture at the top of the article, no one could mistake that sign of the giant. Thanks much.

• Burger Beast

August 25, 2014 at 2:28 AM

Didn’t even know the chain made it all the way to Wisconsin. Thanks for leaving a comment.

2. jimwinters

January 8, 2015 at 12:16 PM

i thought i was the only one who knew about the legs…funny

3. Calvin Maxwell

September 21, 2015 at 11:36 AM

There was a burger castle in miami on sw88st kendall drive and 107 ave in kendall mall

4. bfowler1000

October 6, 2015 at 5:24 PM

My father owned the company and was the Chairman of the Board and CEO, after having sold his insurance company. Although it seems that a fast food chain couldn’t really fail back then, somehow it did, and it drew him into personal bankruptcy (from which he never recovered). I’ve been trying to find out more about the company, since my father refused to discuss it, and passed away when I was in college. I’d really appreciate anyone sharing any info that they have on the company, or any sites I can use to make more progress!

• Doug Turk

May 15, 2016 at 6:43 PM

My Dad & two partners formed the company in Miami when I was a kid. It was a franchise operation & I recall there where stores in Maryland too. They must have sold it to your Dad.

• bfowler1000

May 15, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Hey Doug – was Charlie Krebs one of the partners? (He lived four houses away from us, and I think maybe he was involved as well?). Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Bill Fowler

• Doug Turk

May 16, 2016 at 8:18 AM

Hi,
          I was a kid during that period so my knowledge is limited. From what I recall my Dad (an Airline Pilot) was one of 3 partners who was involved in the early stages of the business. He was involved in Real Estate when not flying & his function was to locate new locations. When the company had grown to 15 or so the other partners said he either needed to come aboard full-time or sell his stake. He sold. The names that I recall are Charlie Krebs & Frank Erwin but I can’t say for sure what they had to do with any of it. I remember visiting stores & the main office. Doug

Douglas L. Turk
          Director of Flight Operations
          Life Lion Air Medical Service
          Office: (717) 531-8760
          Cell: (717) 215-3147

• bfowler1000

March 31, 2017 at 11:48 AM

Thanks Doug for your input. As I’m getting filled in a little bit more, I think my father bought the company from Charlie Krebs (and who ever the other shareholders were at the time) after they had built it to a certain size (perhaps not long after your father sold his stake). Of course, it was a sore subject with my father so I never really heard what happened that took it down……. (recession?, poor planning?, law suits with Burger King?). Still curious as to what happened. Please feel free to add any insight or email me at bfowler1000 at gmail.

• Doug Turk

April 1, 2017 at 8:09 AM

Haven’t a clue as to why the chain went under as my Dad moved on to another venture. He used the proceeds as a down payment on a piece of commercial property on US1 in Kendall. That venture almost sunk him (us) but he was able to sell it at the last second. Used the proceeds from that sale to build a vacation house & got out of the “business world” entirely. I spoke with my brother (who is older) & he confirmed the 3 original owner where Charlie Krebs, Frank Erwin & my Dad -James Turk. Charlie & Frank bought out my Dad & then sold the whole thing to someone who must’ve been your Dad.

• bfowler1000

April 1, 2017 at 11:30 AM

Well, thanks for helping me piece things together. Charlie Krebs’ son Gary is a few years older than me, but we lived just four houses away. I’m going to try and get a hold of him. Glad your dad dodged the bullet.

• Burger Beast

April 1, 2017 at 11:31 PM

I have Gary Krebs email address.

• bfowler1000

April 3, 2017 at 6:02 PM

That would be great if you could get me that! Thanks.

Bill

• Jeffrey R. Brant

March 29, 2017 at 12:46 PM

My late father (Harvey Brant) and his business partner, Art Budwig, owned the BC on SW 87th Ave (Galloway Rd) at Coral Way. They were the original owners, around 1963, and sold it a few years later, doing owner finance for the buyers. A couple years later, the new owners quit making loan payments so we took over the store and ran it for a couple more years before selling it again. This time, the new owners tore it down and put a Burger King in its place.

• bfowler1000

March 31, 2017 at 11:53 AM

Hey Jeffrey – I’m guessing your father and his business partner were owners with the original founders, which included Charlie Krebs. If you know what actually happened to lead to the company’s ultimate demise, I’d love to hear your thoughts…… (just curious, since it was a taboo subject with my father).