If we’re talking one of the Best South Florida comfort food dishes of all time then Sakaya Kitchen‘s Kalbi Chunk’D Tots will easily make the Top 5. It’s got well-marinated Meat, Cheese sauce, and fried Potatoes…….SOLD! It is so good that the first time I tried it, and before I was even halfway done eating it I got back in line to order another one.
KALBI SHORT RIB MARINADE:
Mix all ingredients with short rib meat, cover and marinate overnight.
- 1 pound short ribs, thick cut in 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 apple, sliced
Combine ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- 1 cup fresh white melting cheese
- 1 cup Korean red pepper paste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 scallion
- water, if necessary to blend
KALBI CHUNK’D TOTS:
- 1 pound potato nuggets
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 cups cheese sauce (see above)
- 1 pound short ribs (see above)
- scallions, chopped
- hot sauce
Makes approximately 4 servings
- Set grill to high heat. Grill short ribs on high heat until well done. Set aside.
- Deep fry potato nuggets at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown.
- Remove potato nuggets from oil to a mixing bowl. Toss with a pinch of sea salt and cheese sauce until coated.
- Slice short rib meat into bite-size pieces.
- Place tater tot mixture in a serving bowl, top with short rib meat and garnish with chopped scallions and hot sauce.
Thanks to Chef Richard Hales for allowing us to reprint this recipe.