Every few weeks I like to unleash a new List or Best Of on the Burger Beast site and with 2014 coming to an end I thought a Top 10 Food Truck Dishes would be the ideal one.
The Top 10 is in alphabetical order.
- Arepas Las Gorditas‘ Pocahontas Arepa (NO LONGER OPEN): What do you get when take a freshly made Venezuelan Arepa and stuff it with some Thanksgiving love? An unbelievable Arepa that is unfortunately only available during season or maybe not, fingers crossed.
- Box of Chacos‘ Bang Mai Buns: Chaco‘s Bao Buns are always changing and evolving. I’ve seen BBQ Short Rib, Duck, SPAM, and even Vietnamese Crab Salad Bang Mai Buns. These are some buns I love banging (get your thoughts out of the gutter).
- FOAR‘s N.Y. Egg Sandwich (NO LONGER OPEN): An excellent breakfast sandwich is hard to come by in these parts so imagine my surprise when I ordered the N.Y. Egg Sandwich from FOAR and it was a specimen. And it’s pretty too!
- HipPOPs Handcrafted Gelato Bars‘ Salted Caramel Brûlée: It was midsummer, hot as hell and I want something not only refreshing but flavorful, enter the Salted Caramel Brûlée POP. When HipPOPs debuts a new flavor people listen as they know a lot of care has gone into creating it. This one was a Grand Slam in the bottom of the ninth at the World Series.
- The Lobsta Guy‘s Original Lobster Roll: I’m no expert in the realm of seafood but I can’t imagine a Lobster Roll that could be better than this one. If the lines at this food truck are any indication I’m not alone in those thoughts.
- Marlie’s Delights‘ Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie (NO LONGER OPEN): I love Cinnamon Rolls and I’m also an Apple Pie-o-holic. When Chef Leslie of Marlie’s Delights mentioned that she was creating a Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie I thought it might mean the coming of the Dessert Apocalypse. Zombies watch out, these are my brains.
- Ms. Cheezious‘ Croqueta Monsieur: I’ve been making Grilled Cheese Croqueta Sandwiches for years. When Catalina Foods came aboard as a sponsor for my event Croquetapalooza I suggested they supply some of their Croquetas to a few folks, one of which was Ms. Cheezious. I knew they would create something really special with them and so the Croqueta Monsieur was born. It will be King of the sandwiches one day, trust me.
- The Rolling Stove‘s Cuban Sandwich (NO LONGER OPEN): I’d to think it was all my talk about Cuban Sandwiches & Medianoches that pushed the Rolling Stove‘s Troy Thomas to create their take on the classic dish. It was only available at a couple of events in July 2014 but here’s to hoping that we’ll see it make a few appearances in the new year.
- Tum Tum’s Thai Fried Chicken (NO LONGER OPEN): TFC = Chicken Chunks marinated in Thai seasonings, fried and tossed in a Sweet Chili Sauce. You ever agree to share something and then realize you made a bad mistake? Don’t share these ever.
- Woodys Burgers‘ Alpine Burger: As a kid, I loved Char-broiled or Char-grilled Burgers but as I became older I fell in love with Burgers cooked on the flat-top or griddle. Well, like old things that become new again I again returning to my roots. If you’re Char-grilling then I’m listening. Woodys Burgers is char-grilled and they’ve managed to layer the flavors in such a way that I’m breaking all the Burger rules I place on the meat patties I love (no condiments & veggies of any type). One thing is for sure, nothing in my book beats a well crafted and thought out Burger, nothing.