Usually, I’m the one driving, which makes it difficult to scope out new spots to stop & eat at. Luckily, my cousin Fred was driving, which meant I could sit back and enjoy the ride around Westchester.
All of a sudden, I spotted out of the corner of my eye a restaurant I had never noticed before, A-Mari-Mix Fresh Mex Fusion (9700 Southwest 24th Street). We had just had lunch, so we weren’t stopping in, but the next day was wide open.
I knew what I was eating after checking out their menu online. The one thing I didn’t expect was a Specials board for the day. For my first visit, I figured I would stick to the regular menu.
A-Mari-Mix Fresh Mex Fusion has become my go-to restaurant for every occasion. Imagine if you mixed Mexican & Cuban food then added a Miami twist. The menu isn’t very big but there is much love and care to all of their dishes.
Some A-Mari-Mix Tips
Since that first visit, I’ve been back countless times. Here are some tips I can give to first-time visitors:
- Order something with ropa vieja (marinated shredded beef); they’re all good.
- The fish tacos are mesmerizing and slightly spicy but worth it. If you can’t handle the heat, then let them virginize it for you.
- The chicken fajitas were my thing for a while but now I’m into the quesadillas.
- The pineapple buffalo sauce is the way to go with the chicken wings. Heads up though, I think they’re going to be removed from the menu soon.
- Wash down your meal with housemade soft-serve ice cream (fingers crossed for horchata) and a chocolada, yes chocolate flavored espresso.
P.S.: Remember the specials board. Be on the lookout for Raja Fries, they are 🔥.