Just a few days ago, Burger King was getting into the hot dog game. It’s not something new to them; they had hot dogs on the menu back in the day, remember Burger King has been around since 1953.
This time around, there are two hot dogs on the menu, a classic with ketchup, mustard, onions & relish, and another with chili cheese.
The launch date is February 23rd, 2016, but my bud Dro text me this morning to let me know that he had spotted them for sale at the Burger King in Downtown Miami five days early.
I knew that meant the corporate Burger King restaurant near my home, which is also a block from Burger King Headquarters, must have them available. I pass this location every day on my drive to Burger Beast HQ.
Low and behold, the signs were up, and I was in business.
My excitement to try this stems from the fact that my preferred method of cooking a dog is on a grill. The hot dogs are all beef and made by Oscar Mayer.
As someone who is an expert in the late-night munchies field, I know my way around a 7-Eleven wiener. They fall into the same category, plus Burger King chargrills these fellas, so they’re better.
Both come packaged with the same sleeve around a hot dog-sized paper basket.
I was sure I’d be loving the chili cheese dog, but the exact opposite happened. I ended up in the classic grilled dog bandwagon.
- I liked the combination of ketchup, mustard, relish, and onions, never had it before. I’m not much of a regular relish guy.
- The crispy hot dog exterior’s flavor shined through the toppings.
- Tastes just like something you’d grill in your backyard.
- Can’t really beat the $1.99 price.
CHILI CHEESE DOG
- I liked that the cheese had melted on its own, and it didn’t appear to have visited the microwave (which bothers me immensely).
- The chili overpowered the hot dog taste, which seemed lost, a little flavor balance would help this fella out.
- The chili, while alright, could do with some livening up, maybe adding some mustard, onions, or jalapeños will do the trick.
- Again, you can’t beat the $1.99 price.
So there you have it, Burger King’s menu includes hot dogs again. It’ll be interesting to see if they roll out any other toppings.
Burger King’s Grilled Dogs are no longer on the menu. They were available for about six months.