The lead story on this edition of Fast Food Restaurant News is Arby’s plan to phase out the potato cakes and replace them with crinkle cut fries. It’s a total slap in the face to to the potato cake who’s had a good run. Now they bring in its replacement during its last few days. It’s the fast food equivalent of Buzz replacing Woody in Toy Story.
In short this is what else is going on…Arthur Treacher’s is returning, Checkers debuts some new tenders, Dairy Queen’s summer Blizzard flavors are here, Popeyes is testing a blackened chicken sandwich and Wendy’s dares to partner with Pringles after their last collab.
Technically I’m posting this on the last day of May and not the first of June so I hope you’ll find it in your comfort food heart to forgive me.
Fast Food News June 2021 Table of Contents
Arby’s Ixnays Potato Cakes
A few weeks back, when I was ordering some Arby’s grub, I noticed the addition of crinkle-cut fries to their potato game. Now we know that they are replacing my favorite side on the menu, the potato cakes.
Thrillist confirmed that the potato cakes days are numbered, and the folks on the Burger Beast Instagram page are not happy about it; check it out.
Arthur Treacher’s Returns…Kinda
QSR Magazine recently announced that Nathan’s was bringing back Arthur Treacher’s. Initially, Arthur Treacher’s will be available via ghost kitchens for delivery with a long-term plan to eventually open brick & mortar locations.
Checkers & Rally’s Fry-Seasoned Chicken Tenders
I was excited to see the poster touting Checkers‘ new Fry Seasoned Chicken Tenders on my way out of their drive-thru a few nights back. The following day I went specifically to order some of the newbies.
I was extremely disappointed by these fries. They didn’t look anything like the ad picture, but worse, nothing in the breading’s taste reminded me of their famous fries.
Currently, the Fry Seasoned Chicken Tenders are being tested in select markets. If you’ve tried them, I’d love to hear what your experience was like.
Dairy Queen Summer Blizzard Menu
Do you know how I know that summertime is here? Dairy Queen has unleashed its menu of Blizzard flavors for Summer 2021.
- Brownie Batter – World-famous DQ soft serve blended with rich brownie batter and brownie dough pieces.
- Cotton Candy – Takes cotton candy and mixes it with signature DQ soft serve and cotton candy sprinkles.
- DRUMSTICK with Peanuts – DRUMSTICK® sundae cone pieces (chocolatey-coated waffle pieces) and chopped peanuts blended with classic DQ soft serve.
- Frosted Animal Cookie – Blends world-famous DQ soft serve with frosted animal cookies and pink confetti frosting.
- Girl Scout Thin Mints – Girl Scout Thin Mints cookies and cool mint blended with DQ’s world-famous vanilla soft serve.
- Raspberry Fudge Bliss – Made with real, tart raspberries, soft fudge pieces, crunchy choco chunks, and signature DQ soft serve.
Popeyes is Testing a Blackened Chicken Sandwich
Popeyes is testing a new Blackened Chicken Sandwich and it’s looking divine. It comes with pickles and mayo on a brioche bun.
I haven’t found any Popeyes restaurants in the South Florida market selling them yet. However, one of the best kept secrets on their menu are the blackened tenders. They’re great.
Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Pringles?
Wendy’s and Pringles are partnering for a new limited time flavor, Wendy’s Spicy Chicken. Their previous collaboration left a lot to be desired but the word on the street is these new chips are excellent.
They should be available everywhere you normally grab Pringles for sale during the month of June.