I know what you’re thinking, why would you make this cheesecake recipe if you can head over to visit Fireman Derek’s Bake Shop in Coconut Grove or Wynwood? Cause baking soothes the savage beast!
I remember meeting Derek when he was selling at Farmer’s Markets, and La Camaronera was one of his only restaurant customers. He was the first person selling aboard my BEASTmobile. His business grew, so he opened a food truck which eventually led to a commissary kitchen in Wynwood.
Right down the street from his old commissary kitchen space is now his first spot, Fireman Derek’s Bake Shop & Cafe. A few years later, he found a second home in Coconut Grove. I’m pretty sure he even ships nationwide.
He’s won multiple awards, including Best Flan at my Croqueta Palooza event and Best Dessert at the 2014 Burger Beast Burgie Awards.
One of his original world-famous pies included the New York Style Cheesecake. Over the years, it’s been overshadowed with things like his key lime pie, crack pie, and award-winning flan. If you’ve been a long-time fan of Derek’s like I am, then you’re probably ecstatic at getting a crack at making this recipe.
So without further adieu, here is Fireman Derek’s New York Style Cheesecake Recipe.
Fireman Derek’s New York Style Cheesecake Recipe
It’s a rather simple recipe…and don’t forget to invite me over!
- Mixing Bowl
- Large wooden spoon
- Disposeable 9-inch pie pan
- Parchment Paper
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 4 tbsp butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- Mix all ingredients together and spread in 9-inch pie pan.
- Place in oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese, sour cream and butter in a mixing bowl.
- Mix together until all the ingredients have blended.
- Pour in sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Mix well again.
- Place filling batter on top of crust.
- Place in rectangular baking dish and cover with parchment paper. This will prevent browning of the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until done at 350 degrees.
- Let cool and then refrigerate overnight.
- Spoon on the cherry pie filling.