While my blog began its life as a search for great burgers in Miami, it grew to include many associated historical topics.
A few years ago I wrote four pieces during National Burger Month for the Miami Herald & Miami.com. The truth is I did those as a tribute to my late grandfather who loved reading and re-reading the Herald daily.
I’ve been reading the Miami New Times forever and even advertised my horror shop in the print version back in tha day. The Miami New Times grittier take on the news was more my style.
When I spoke to Laine Doss, the food and spirits editor about Burger Beast (yes, I just referred to myself in the third person) writing for the Miami New Times, she was all about it. I knew that my first official story for the Miami New Times would need to be historical and not some maniacal scribblings.
Hence the Five Miami Burger Chains That Made History that went live online a couple of weeks back. My short but sweet histories of Insta-Burger King, Joe Namath’s Broadway Joe’s, Muhammad Ali’s ChampBurger, Rudy’s Sirloin SteakBurgers, & Wuv’s were fun to write.
I Made the Cover, Huh?
When the decision trickled down that it would be the cover story I was surprised. It had been close to ten years since my first cover story; Let Me Tell You About the Frita for edible South Florida.
I’ve never considered myself much of a writer. I mean, when someone tells me they’ve enjoyed a social media post or something on my blog I’m just happy to have created something that moved them.
But here we are, almost 13 years after I wrote the initial BurgerBeast.com post about some burger I found at a pizza joint that had no business being that good. I’m kinda like that pizza spot, no one saw me coming and I’ve always tried to be the best possible Beast I could be.
Historical Food Posts on BurgerBeast.com
- A History of Hardee’s with Tasty Looking Pictures
- A Menu of Regional Burger Styles You Need To Know
- A Visit to White Castle Headquarters in Ohio
- An Educational & Tasty Visit to A&W Headquarters & Test Kitchen
- Burger Chef’s History Brings a Smile to My Face, What About You?
- Closed Burger Chains in South Florida
- Do You Remember Any of These Miami Burger Joints?
- Dog ‘n Suds History & A Visit to Muskegon, Michigan
- Great American Burger Emporium aka GABE’s Burgers
- Iconic Restaurant Chains Left with 1 Location Open
- Jack in the Box in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Nashville & counting
- Krystal Burger Headquarters & History
- My Dream Came True, A Visit to Wendy’s Headquarters
- My Memories of McDonaldland & the Burger King Kingdom
- Old Miami Restaurant Buildings Part 1
- Old Miami Restaurant Buildings Part 2
- Royal Carousel was Royal Castle’s Restaurant of the Future
- ShowBiz Pizza, Rock-afire Explosion & Chuck E Cheese Saga
- South Florida’s 1st Food Truck Event in Downtown Miami
- Steak ‘n Shake History, Food Pictures & My Thoughts
- Take the Miami Burger Quiz
- The History of Burger King & its First 10 Miami Locations
- The Story of Bob and his Big Boy Double-Deck Hamburger
- There was a Burger Castle Restaurant Once Upon a Time
- There were 2 White Castle Restaurant Miami Locations in 1958
- What Happened to the McDonald’s Fried Apple Pies?
- Whataburger in Florida & its History
- Who Remembers Rudy’s Sirloin SteakBurgers?
- Wuv’s Hamburgers, a Late Great Burger Chain