Halloween brings many wonderful things like candies and donuts, but my favorite seasonal products are the Monster Cereals. I feel kind of ridiculous explaining since everyone is familiar with them, but the Monster Cereals are made up of Count Chocula, Franken Berry, and Boo Berry.
We’re major Classic Universal Monster fans, so these are right up our alleys.
The only real problem is that I don’t eat cereal at all, never have. It hasn’t stopped me from getting excited whenever I spot the Monster Cereals or any of their merchandise out in the real world.
MONSTER CEREAL FACTS
- George Carn, who designed the Trix Rabbit, is also responsible for the earliest sketches of Count Chocula.
- Count Chocula’s full name is Alfred Chocula; who knew?
- Contrary to popular opinion, the Monster Cereals did not launch together. Count Chocula & Franken Berry were first in March 1971, followed by Boo Berry in 1973, Fruit Brute in 1974, and Fruity Yummy Mummy in 1988.
- Fruit Brute was discontinued in 1982 with its replacement Fruity Yummy Mummy’s last days coming in 1992.
- A box of Fruit Brute cereal made appearances in the Quentin Tarantino films Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.
- Another good year for Cereal Monster fans was 2010 with Boo Berry & Franken Berry Fruit Rollups along with Count Chocula cereal bars.
- Halloween season 2013 saw all five Monster Cereals’ return for a limited time with retro boxes available exclusively at Target.
- Three DC Comics artists re-envisioned the trio for a series of limited-edition boxes in 2014.
- In 2018, General Mills, the company behind the Monster Cereals, was hoping to get content made in Hollywood about the trio of cereal ghouls.
MONSTER CEREAL 3 PACK
I’ve never come across a Monster Cereal 3 Pack but apparently they’re out there so keep your eyes peeled.
MONSTER CEREALS SWEEPSTAKES
For all of you hardcore Monster Cereal fans, General Mills is giving away busts of the iconic cereal trio via a sweepstakes on their Instagram account. Karlee Morse, an award-winning special effects artist spent about 30 hours crafting and painting these one of a kind sculptures.
I’ve got all of the details for the sweepstakes for you below.
ALL THE DETAILS
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
- Must be 18 years old to enter.
- Sweepstakes runs through October 22, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
- To win one of the three busts, consumers need to LIKE the official sweepstakes post featuring the three monsters
- Name their favorite Monster Cereal in a comment
- Use the hashtag #MonsterCerealSweepstakes.
- See the official Monster Cereal Sweepstakes rules here.
The Franken Berry bust would fit in nicely with my Boris Karloff collection, just saying!
MONSTER CEREAL COMMERCIALS
OTHER HALLOWEEN CEREAL STUFF
A few other kinds of cereal got into the Halloween holiday spirit for 2020 too. If I was a cereal fan, the Cap’n Crunch’s Halloween Crunch with those sugary ghosts turning the milk green would be right up my alley. It’s ok though cause that Rice Krispie Treats looks like the big winner to me. Those things are always so damn tasty.
1 thought on “Monster Cereals & more for Halloween”
Seriously! Can anything make you feel like a kid again faster than cereal?! My favorite is Sugar Pops (they will always be Sugar Pops to me, not Corn Pops or Sugar Corn Pops) #showingmyage. LOVED Frankenberry! I think the only other thing that has that immediate time travel effect is roll-on strawberry lip gloss. Love that you celebrate this stuff.