S’Mac, aka Sarita’s Macaroni and Cheese (*197 1st Avenue, East Village), was one of the first places I put on my New York must-visit list. I love mac & cheese, and who doesn’t?
This tiny joint has over ten pre-set mac & cheese creations to choose from, or you can create your own. And yes, there are Vegan options too.
It was a little overwhelming, so I went the lazy man route, the sampler. It includes:
- Parisienne – Creamy Brie, Roasted Figs, Roasted Shiitake Mushrooms & Fresh Rosemary
- Napoletana – Fresh Mozzarella, Roasted Tomatoes, Roasted Garlic, and Fresh Basil.
- All American – American & Cheddar Cheeses
- Cheeseburger – Cheddar and American Cheeses with seasoned Ground Beef.
- 4 Cheese – Cheddar, Muenster, Gruyere, and a touch of Pecorino.
- Cajun – Cheddar & Pepper Jack Cheeses, Andouille Sausage, Green Pepper, Onions, Celery, Garlic, and Cajun Seasoning.
- Alpine –Gruyere with Slab Bacon.
- La Mancha –Manchego Cheese with Fresh Fennel and Onions.
They were all as good as they sound, but these two were just a little better than the rest; The Cajun mac with the andouille sausage and the alpine with gruyere (one of my favorite kinds of cheese) were standouts.
The Cheeseburger mac could easily be called a meatloaf mac & cheese and was a close third. But, I don’t think you could go wrong with any of them.
*S’MAC was located at 45 E 12th Street in the East Village when I wrote this post.