Just a few days ago I announced that Burger King was getting into the Hot Dog game. It’s not something new to them, they had Hot Dogs on the menu back in the day, remember Burger King has been around since 1954.
This time around there are two Hot Dogs on the menu, a Classic with Ketchup, Mustard, Onions & Relish and another with Chili Cheese. The launch date was scheduled to be February 23rd but my bud, Dro from The305.com text me this morning to let me know that he had spotted them for sale at the Burger King in Downtown Miami.
I knew that meant the corporate owned Burger King near my home which is also a block from Burger King Headquarters had to have them available. I pass this location every day on my drive to Burger Beast HQ. Low and behold, the signs were up and I was in business.
My excitement to try this stems from the fact that my preferred method of cooking a Hot Dog is on a grill. The Hot Dogs are all beef and made by Oscar Mayer.
As someone who’s an expert in the late night munchies field, I’m well acquainted with 7-11’s Hot Dogs. These fall into the same category but better since they’re grilled.
I was sure I’d be loving the Chili Cheese Dog but the exact opposite happened. I ended up in the Classic Grilled Dog bandwagon.
Both come packaged the exact same way with a sleeve around a Hot Dog sized paper basket.
About the Classic:
- I liked the combination of Ketchup, Mustard, Relish and Onions, never had it before. I’m not much of a Relish guy.
- The crispy Hot Dog exterior’s flavor shined through the toppings.
- Tastes just like something you’d grill in your backyard.
- Can’t really beat the $1.99 price.
About the Chili Cheese:
- I liked that the Cheese had melted on its own and it didn’t appear to be microwaved (which bothers me immensely).
- The Chili overpowered the Hot Dog taste which seemed lost, a little flavor balance would help this fella out.
- The Chili while alright could do with some livening up, maybe adding some Mustard, Onions and/or Jalapeños will do the trick.
- Again, can’t really beat the $1.99 price.
So there you have it, Burger King’s menu includes Hot Dogs again. It’ll be interesting to see if they roll out any other toppings. In the meantime, if you’ve tried the new Grilled Hot Dogs from Burger King please leave your comments below, I’m interested to hear your thoughts.