If we’re talking about one of the Best South Florida Comfort Food Dishes of all time, Chef Richard Hales’ tale on loaded tots is at the top of that list. Sakaya Kitchen‘s Kalbi Chunk’D Tots made their debut on the Dim Ssam a GoGo food truck, in 2010.
The mix of well-marinated short rib, housemade cheese sauce, and fried potatoes come together so well. It’s such a memorable dish that you’ll remember the first time you ate them.
I got back in line to order another one before I was even halfway done eating my first Kalbi Chunk’D Tots. Yes, it’s that good.
The recipe for these loaded tots is pretty straightforward, and except for the Korean red pepper paste. You may have all of the ingredients in your fridge and pantry at home.
Sakaya Kitchen’s Kalbi Chunk’d Tots Recipe
KALBI SHORT RIB MARINADE
- 1 lb. short ribs thick cut in 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp black pepper ground
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 1 apple sliced
- 1 cup fresh white melting cheese
- 1 cup Korean red pepper paste
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 scallion
- water if neecessary to blend
KALBI CHUNK’D TOTS
- 1 lb. potato nuggets
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 cups cheese sauce (see above)
- 1 lb. short ribs (see above)
- scallions chopped
- hot sauce to your liking
- Set grill to high heat.
- Grill short ribs on high heat until well done.
- Set aside.
- Deep fry potato nuggets at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown.
- Remove potato nuggets from oil to a mixing bowl.
- Toss with a pinch of sea salt and cheese sauce until coated.
- Slice short rib meat into bite-size pieces.
- Place tater tot mixture in a serving bowl, top with short rib meat, and garnish with chopped scallions and hot sauce.