The CUBANCUBE food truck was used as a testing ground for some of the dishes, including the Freakin Frita Cubana that would eventually find their way onto the FINKA Table & Tap menu. It was a shame that Jon and Eileen Andrade decided to retire the ‘CUBE but the FINKA Table & Tap restaurant could not have happened otherwise.
From time to time, I get questions about the Freakin Frita. It was one of the signature dishes from the CUBANCUBE food truck.
It can sometimes be found on the lunch menu at FINKA but would eventually evolve into the Korean-style Frita on Amelia’s 1931 menu. Because I love you guys, here is the original Freakin Frita recipe for you to recreate at home.
FREAKING FRITA CUBANAS
Mix all ingredients together and form into 6 equal patties. Cook Fritas on a flattop, pan, or cast-iron skillet.
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 pound ground chorizo
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red peppers, minced
- 1 white onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chipotle pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper powder
Combine all ingredients, mix well and set aside.
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- ½ cup guava marmalade
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 2 loaves of Cuban bread
- 6 Fritas, cooked (above)
- 6 slices of Swiss cheese
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups Sauce (above)
- 6 eggs, fried
Makes approximately six servings
- Slice Cuban bread loaf from top to bottom to create two equal halves.
- Then create “buns” to match the size of the patty.
- Place one bread slice down and place cooked Frita on top.
- Lay Swiss cheese, onions, sauce, and fried eggs on the patty.
- Top your Frita with the other Cuban bread slice.
Thanks to Eileen & Jon Andrade of Amelia’s 1931 and FINKA Table & Tap for allowing us to reprint the Freakin Frita recipe.