Yes, this is the first time I make a list of what I believe are the Top 25 Burgers in Miami/South Florida. How did I decide? Well, it took me a few weeks of arranging and re-trying some Burgers I was unsure of. Some Burgers were added and others were removed multiple times. Fritas were excluded from the list as were any “Burgers” that are more of a “Meatloaf”. Pork Burgers, Lamb Burgers, or Chicken Burgers were not considered because well, they’re not Burgers as far as I’m concerned. And of course the Burgers had to be fresh Burgers, no frozen fellas.
At the very bottom is a list of Burgers that I will hopefully try for the 1st /2nd time and be under consideration for the updated Top 25 Burgers list in early 2014.
Please leave your thoughts in the comments area. I know that Burger discussions can get heated but I’d love to hear your Top 25s.
Top 25 Burgers in South Florida:
25) Sakaya Kitchen (Downtown Miami, Midtown & a Food Truck): How dare I place the Double Bulgogi Beast (named after me) all the way at 25. It’s a different kind of Burger with Spicy Cheese, Spicy Tots, Ssamjang, Pork & Spicy Mayo. It’s really great but not for everyone’s tastes.
24) Gilbert’s 17th Street Grill (Ft. Lauderdale): There are plenty of Burgers on Gilbert’s menu but the Havarti Burger served on a toasted Garlic buttered English Muffin is the one to get.
23) The Rolling Stove (Food Truck): What a great crust this burger has on it. When you add the Cheese Spread (Yes, Cheese Spread), Grilled Onions, Ketchup and Mayonnaise it’s a masterpiece. I did really say Ketchup & Mayonnaise. What, you got a problem with that?
22) MEAT Eatery & Taproom (Islamorada): A solid Burger with extra melty American Cheese and homemade Bacon.
21) JR’s Gourmet Burger (Miami Springs): I’m partial to the Ouside Is In (Juicy Lucy) Burger or the Sliders but their regular Cheeseburger with Grilled Onions is very good too.
20) Sparky’s Roadside Barbecue (Downtown Miami): Imagine the Best Chargrilled Burger you’ve ever had then add Cheese, for extra credit get the homemade Bacon.
19) LoKal Burgers and Beer (Coconut Grove): I’ve had all the Burgers on the menu but the Classic is where’s its at. Who said Grass Fed Burger are flavorless? Not me.
18) A&G Burger Joint (Sweetwater): There are so many different Burger concoctions on A&G’s menu I’d have to be crazy to list them all here. Instead, I’ll tell why you should eat the A&G Burger Melt. Number 1 is that it’s an upgraded Patty Melt and number 2, the bread reminds of the old Sizzler’s Cheese Bread, ’nuff said.
17) PB Steak (Miami Beach): “a supremely decadent Burger of epic proportions,” yes, I’m quoting myself. The PB Burger has a slab of housemade Bacon topped with Gruyere Cheese and a Bordelaise drizzle.
16) Umami Burger (Miami Beach): I absolutely love the grind they use on Umami Burgers. The flavors might be a little overwhelming for some on the Royale but I find it to be right on point.
15) Jefe’s Original Fish Taco & Burgers (Food Truck & With A Restaurant Coming To North Miami Soon): If I could marry a Burger this might be the one. And if you’re lucky enough to catch Jefe’s when they’ve got the Patty Melt on the menu, don’t resist. Give in and order, or you’ll regret it. Big time.
14) Burger & Beer Joint (Brickell, Pembroke Pines, South Beach & a Food Truck): A few years back Burger & Beer Joint was “The” Burger to eat in South Florida. It’s still very much worth eating. If you can handle some heat in your life, try the Sympathy for the Devil Burger with Jalapeños, Buffalo Chili and Habanero Sauce.
13) Bread + Butter Counter (Coral Gables): When Chef Alberto Cabrera (owner of Bread + Butter Counter) was the Chef at the Local in the Gables I loved the Baconator Burger there. Then he went out on his own to open a Cuban Gastropub and I was scared I’d never have one of his Burgers again. I was wrong. They’re available only on the lunch menu and I’ve had the Un MacDona Burger and the Bacon Double Cheeseburger. It’s tough to choose between both but I think the Un MacDona is currently on Burger hiatus, so decision made.
12) Rok Brgr (Ft. Lauderdale or South Miami): Imagine Cave Aged Gruyère, Caramelized Onions and Garlic Aioli on a Burger. No, really imagine it…..Yes, it’s as good as you imagined, possibly even better.
11) Cheeseburger Baby (Miami Beach & Food Truck): Take a good look at the crust on that Burger, it’s gotta be driving you as mad as it does me. Great Burger at their restaurant, Great Burger from their truck and Great Burger in my stomach.
10) Pincho Factory (Coral Gables, Westchester and a Food Truck): You could go the tourist route and get the famed Toston Burger orrrrrrr…. get a Double Pincho Burger w/Cheese, Grilled Onions and Mustard. I know, I know, you can thank me later.
09) Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink (Miami Design District): What makes this Burger by Chef Michael Schwartz so great? Fresh & Great Ingredients. And a little bit of the Schwartz magic too.
08) Blue Collar (Biscayne Corridor): What’s a PMuff? A Portuguese Muffin of course. Blue Collar’s Real Juicy Cheeseburger comes on one topped with American Cheese and that’s it. Plus, it really is real juicy and also real good too.
07) The Federal (Biscayne Corridor): It’s called the PhatBurger, it’s massive and muy bueno. I eat mine in layers. You should too.
06) Tongue & Cheek (Miami Beach): Jamie DeRosa makes a mean mother f’in Burger. It’s got a near perfect grind and the bottom bun has a nice surprise for you, a Pimento Cheese spread. Take two and call me in the morning.
05) BITE Gastrotruck (Food Truck):When Chef Ron Kerr told me he was taking the Burgers he created at Georgie’s Alibi and Bill’s Filling Station mobile I was left salivating. I’m convinced there must be crack in this Burger, no for real.
04) Latin House Burger & Taco (Kendall): The Madlove Burger is big and full of flavor. The Burger itself has a beautiful little crust on it. I have mine with just Cheese. You can have yours however you like but I suggest going simple with the toppings.
03) Charm City Burger Company (Deerfield Beach): Most folks I know order the Good Ole (with or without American Cheese) or the Cowboy Style (Bacon, Cheddar, Mushrooms & Grilled Onions) Burgers at Charm. I’ve been known to get those on occasion too. BUT, any true Charm City Burger Company fans knows that The Emperor (American Kobe Patty Melt w/Gruyere Cheese, Truffled Aioli and Sauteed Mushrooms) is the Burger to get. Add Foie Gras if you dare.
02) Shake Shack (Boca Raton, Coral Gables & Miami Beach): Let’s skip pleasantries, order the Double Shackburger and wash it down with their Lemonade. Then get back in line and order another Burger because you can’t help yourself. Repeat until you pass out.
01) Swine Southern Table & Bar (Coral Gables): Engage.
Need to try for a 1st or 2nd time:
The Cypress Room
db Bistro Moderne
Michy’s Brunch Burger