Very few folks were familiar with the food truck movement sweeping across the U.S. when the rumblings started in Miami.
I had seen pictures and read about the growing scenes in Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, and New York.
MIAMI FOOD TRUCK BEGINNINGS
I was excited to see what kind of flavor Miami would bring to the food truck scene.
The gastroPod ushered in the food truck revolution in South Florida with his temporary trailer nicknamed The Shiny Twinkie.
The gastroPod’s 1962 Airstream Trailer that would be closely associated with Miami’s mobile food scene’s early days did not make its debut until January 2010.
Jeremiah Clauser, chef and owner of the gastroPod, had been planning its debut since late 2008. It would take almost a full year until his plans were realized.
On November 3rd, 2009, Chef Jeremiah posted this comment on his Twitter account.
welcome everyone to Miami’s food revolution
— chef jeremiah bullfrog (@chefbullfrog) November 3, 2009
Latin Burger & Taco (who had celebrity chef Ingrid Hoffman behind it) and the Yellow Submarine food trucks followed not too long afterward.
MIAMI FOOD TRUCK EVENTS
By the summer of 2009, the number of vehicles was hovering around ten.
A few short months later, on September 12th, 2009, I curated the 1st food truck event in Florida, the Fall for the Arts Festival.
It started the craze of events down here that led to the weekly Miami Street Food Court, B.T.T.R., and the now-legendary event Lexus of Kendall.
The latter was a mega event where thousands descended upon a car dealership with their families to eat on a Friday night.
On April 20th, 2013, the Miami Food Trucks set the Guinness World Record for Largest Food Truck Parade with 62 mobile vehicles at Magic City Casino.
I need to include honorable mentions for AC’s Icees, serving lemonades in Coconut Grove for over 30 years, and Pincho Man, the original Miami food truck megastar.
Both are still around today.
Unfortunately, at the moment, there are very few recurring Miami-Dade County events.
READ ABOUT FOOD TRUCKS
- Adam’s Filling Station on Wheels Food Truck
- Burger Culture – Tampa, Florida
- Doggi’s Arepa Bar & Food Truck
- El Alpha Dog Food Truck by Cesar Gonzalez
- gastroPod Brought The Food Truck Revolution To Miami
- Have You Met My Friends A Lo Cubano Kitchen Food Truck?
- Have you tried a HipPOPs Handcrafted Gelato Pop?
- Jack White’s Third Man Records Store
- Jersey Dawg Food Truck (Rippers & Jersey-style Sliders)
- Jr’s Gourmet Burgers & Food Truck in Miami Springs, Florida
- Miami Food Truck Events & History All Over South Florida
- Monster Burgers Food Truck Serves Colombian Comida Rapida
- Pinegrove Market and Deli – Jacksonville, Florida
- Pipo Burgers on Wheels Food Truck
- Remembering the Rolling Stove Food Truck
- The Amazing Ms. Cheezious & their Grilled Cheeses
- White Castle in Orlando, Florida
- World Famous EggRoll Restaurant & Food Truck